25 YEARS OF JERMAINE DUPRI AND SO SO DEF
GRAMMY® Award-winning producer, Songwriters Hall of Fame inductee, recording artist, and TV star Jermaine Dupri has been writing and producing platinum records for more than 25 years. To mark a quarter century of success with his record label, So So Def, the GRAMMY Museum® proudly presents "Jermaine Dupri & So So Def: 25 Years of Elevating Culture ," a new exhibit exploring the legacy of Dupri and the rise and influence of Atlanta’s hip-hop and R&B scene. The exhibit will run through March 2020.
"Considering this year marks the 45th anniversary of hip-hop, it is remarkable that So So Def is celebrating 25 years of extraordinary success in the industry," said Nwaka Onwusa, GRAMMY Museum Curator. "It is impossible to showcase everything that Jermaine Dupri has done to elevate Atlanta hip-hop, and the far-reaching influence of So So Def throughout the world. The GRAMMY Museum is very excited to present this look into the label’s enduring legacy.”
"Jermaine Dupri & So So Def: 25 Years of Elevating Culture" will offer an unprecedented look at the label’s musicality, creativity, and signature sound, and will showcase Atlanta’s emergence as a cultural and creative powerhouse. To highlight So So Def’s iconic role in elevating the sound of Atlanta to a world class level, the exhibit will feature never-before-seen artifacts, interactive experiences, and rare video footage featuring artists such as Bow Wow, Mariah Carey, Da Brat, Dem Franchize Boyz, Anthony Hamilton, Jagged Edge, Kris Kross, Usher, Xscape, and many more.
Exhibit highlights include:
- DUPRI’S AWARD FROM THE SONGWRITERS HALL OF FAME
- THE ORIGINAL MPC 3000 THAT DUPRI USED ON SOME OF HIS EARLIEST PRODUCTIONS
- ORIGINAL ARTWORK FROM SKIP SMITH, THE ARTIST WHO DEVELOPED THE RECORD LABEL’S LOGO, "AFROMAN”
- LYRIC AND CONCEPT NOTEBOOKS FROM DUO KRIS KROSS
- FOUNDATIONAL DOCUMENTS AND ORIGINAL PROMOTIONAL FLYERS FROM SO SO DEF RECORDINGS’ EARLIER YEARS
- PERFORMANCE WARDROBE FROM JAGGED EDGE, DEM FRANCHISE BOYS, XSCAPE AND OTHERS
- EXCLUSIVE, NEVER SEEN BEFORE IMAGES AND PRIZE POSSESSIONS REPRESENTING MANY OF JERMAINE AND SO SO DEF’S PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL RELATIONSHIPS WITHIN THE MUSIC INDUSTRY.
- GRAMMY Museum MS 800 W Sunflower Rd Cleveland, Mississippi 38732
- Jun 15, 2019 Through Mar 1, 2020
TUES - SAT: 10:00 AM - 5:30 PM
SUNDAY: 1:00 PM - 5:30 PM
CLOSED MONDAYS - GROUPS 10 OR MORE BY REQUEST