Help provide essential support for our Mission and get involved in the day-to-day life of the Museum by joining us as a volunteer!
Opportunities are available seven days a week at the Museum and even include after-hours events. From greeting and assisting visitors at public programs to leading guided tours for all ages, volunteers perform a broad range of functions across the Museum. Volunteers work alongside and in support of our staff to further our vision to educate and inspire the next generation of American music innovators.
- Volunteers are required to volunteer for at least one shift per month.
- Volunteers must be 16 years or older to participate.
- Compassion to deal with subject matter that is not always appealing to everyone
- Open-mindedness and patience to work with a diverse public and staff
- Integrity to represent the Museum and oneself with the highest standards
- Dedication to the Museum’s mission and to the values of the Volunteer program
- Reliability to consistently keep one’s volunteer commitment to the Museum
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I become a volunteer?
To be considered for a volunteer position, please complete the volunteer application below. Applicants who prefer a paper application should contact the education department at the Museum. You will receive acknowledgement of receipt of your application within 5 business days. You will then be asked to come in an interview. Once the interview process is complete, you will be notified of your acceptance into our program.
How much time is required of volunteers?
While each volunteer opportunity is unique in its work and time requirement, most require a minimum of 2 hours per shift.
Are volunteers required to attend a training?
Museum policy requires that all new volunteers attend an orientation before beginning their work-specific training. This orientation introduces the volunteer to museum-wide policies and procedures related to volunteering at the Museum. Orientations will be scheduled based on need.
All current volunteers will be required to attend one of the training sessions hosted throughout the year in order to stay fresh on our ever-changing exhibits.
What are the benefits of volunteering?
- Participation in an exciting and dynamic atmosphere
- Discounts related to various programs and merchandise at the Museum
- Recognition events
- Meet a variety of people from all over the world
- Provide a valuable service to the Museum and to the community
What are my options for volunteer service?
OPPORTUNITIES TO SERVE:
*Museum Promotion- includes distributing flyers, sitting at promotional tables during Museum events, etc.
*Guided Tours- includes groups of all ages, preference may be specified
*Ushering and Hosting- includes basic guest relations, seating guests, monitoring exhibits, handing our programs, etc.
At this time, we do not have any short-term opportunities for those needing community service hours. Please check back as we are working to develop our community outreach.
To be considered for a volunteer position, please complete the Volunteer Application below. Applicants who prefer a paper application should contact the Museum at [email protected] or 662.441.0100.
Applications for the 2018-2019 season are now closed. We will begin accepting applications for the 2019-2020 season beginning April 1, 2019.